Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It just doesn't seem fair....

This has been my biggest struggle while being here. I've seen poverty before in other countries but being here as long as I am and being surrounded by it as much as I am has really brought a new light and new intensity to it. I find myself looking around and then looking up at the Lord and saying, "God, it just doesn't seem fair that I get to live the way I do in the States and your children here have to live the way they do..."
So to allow you to enter into my thoughts of wrestling, I thought I'd write them here:

1) It doesn't seem fair that in America, I get to be picky about my food because I have so many options, while I've seen kids here pick their meals from the garbage on the side of the road.

2) It doesn't seem fair that I get to pick out a new cute outfit maybe once every couple monthes and own about 50 articles of clothing, while children here may own 2-3 articles of clothing.

3)It doesn't seem fair that I have 15 pairs of shoes and the children here have none.

4)It doesn't seem fair that I have spent time in the States whining over making $7.50 an hour serving coffee, while the waitresses here are lucky to make 2-3 dollars A DAY.

5) It doesn't seem fair that rain in the states is an inconvenience, and rain here means that food will grow and we'll have electricity.

6) It doesn't seem fair that in america, we have the right to voice our opinion peacefully, and here it seems that the government is too corrupt to listen.

7) It doesn't seem fair that kids in America whine and whine and whine about getting the toys they want, while kids here are content to play in the garbage heaps and build toys out of garbage.

8) It doesn't seem fair that I forget to bless my food sometimes in the States, and the people here will pray over their water and beg God to protect them from the diseases that could be in it!

9) It doesn't seem fair that people here get sick constantly from stuff that could be prevented SO SO easily with just some cleaner water or vitamins.
I once heard someone say," But you are in Africa, its just like that...it'll always be that way and it's just unfortunate."
I just wanna know why it's ok for kids in Africa to live this way when they are just as valuable as any American child.
Would Jesus shrug it off as often as we do?
It just doesn't seem fair....
Lord, please help me understand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment