Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2011

What I actually miss....

        I've been in Africa now for about 3 and a half weeks. It blows my mind that in one week... I will have been here for a month! Where is the time going?!?! A month in Africa symbolizes that my time here is half over and honestly, I'm not ready for it to be. I really like it here. Don't worry, mom, dad, and Zac, I WILL probably be ready to come home then. Maybe. lol.

    The most common thing you hear after people get home from mission trips is,"You really realize what's actually important when you go to 3rd world country." Its almost the stereotypical line that is said at those church meetings where the people get up and share about their experience. After the 5th person gets up and says, "Wow, I realized that I didn't need my tv or ipod to be happy..." I start to wonder how long these people will feel this way. How long will it take before that individual in the states begins to feel like being seperated from their cell phone would destroy them? In my observations and even in my own life, it doesn't take long. Why is that??? Are we really that spoiled and do we really have that short of a memory? Sad isn't it? When I think about this, I find myself amazed at how grace-filled God is. Haha! I know that if I were Him, I'd be thinking, "OK HOW MANY TRIPS OUTSIDE OF THE STATES DO YOU HAVE TO GO ON TO GET IT, AMANDA?! I AM ENOUGH!!!"
     It really is interesting what I miss. When I left Jackson, TN and Franklin, TN, I looked around and thought I would miss...
1)Air Conditioning
2)Favorite Restaurants (BlueCoast Burrito, Sakura, etc.)
3)Downtown Franklin
4) TV
5) My family
6) All my friends
7) My nice clothes

Now....granted...there are moments when I really wish I could get dressed up in a nice outfit, curl my hair, and go out for some sushi with my friends. However, late at night, after a long day in Africa, I find that the list of things I actually miss is much different.
1) My family
2)My Boyfriend
3) 5-8 good friends that I've done so much life with
4) ok.. and Starbucks would be nice.. ;)

I don't miss the pace of life in America. I don't miss driving a car. I don't miss hot showers or constant cell phone service. I honestly don't even miss the college scene at Union. I don't miss the pressure to look perfect or act perfect. I'm perfectly fine without those things. However, the only times I have found myself in tears have been when I think about things like.... missing Alyssa's prom night, missing Angela's 8th grade dance, talking to Zac, getting coffee (see there's that coffee!!!) with my girls, praying with my friends, and dreaming under the stars with my friends and sisters. The things you end up missing end up being things that cannot be bought. They end up revealing your heart more than ever. Ok fine, the fact that I miss Starbucks may not say anything AMAZING about my heart, but I'm imperfect. ;)

Just a thought that I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment